A seventeen-year-old young man named Brian walked into a Christian coffee house. He is in the middle of a serious life crisis, trying to figure out what to do with the rest of his life. On the walls of this small shop there is a mural. There, repeated many times, larger than life, were the words of Ecclesiastes 12:1.
“Remember now thy Creator in the days of thy youth”
A Life Changed by Simple Words
God used those words painted on the wall and spoke to young Brian, who recommitted his life to the Lord, went on to bible college, and into ministry. You may know him by the name Brian Houston. He is the senior pastor of Hillsong Church, one of the most significant Christian congregations in the world today.
The words that changed Brian’s life were painted by someone less famous, but no less a hero of the faith. Earl Hingston was the artist who painted the mural. Here is what he said about it:
"I painted the scripture on the wall expecting that God would use this mural to capture someone’s heart and to change someone’s life."
Earl’s work didn’t just change one life. Through Brian’s ministry, millions around the world have come to Christ through the songs and Scriptural teachings of Hillsong Church.
It Doesn’t Take Much
Sometimes it doesn’t take a great act of heroic leadership to leave a lasting legacy that will change the world, but acts of leadership that influence the world, whether small or great, require leading from God’s heart. Here are eight things you can do to be that kind of leader who changes history.
- Begin With A Solid Foundation. Lead from your intimate relationship with God and He will use you to influence others for meaningful change.
- Lead Passionately. As Christian leaders, our main task is to help bring the Kingdom of God by living and proclaiming the Gospel. That is at the very heart of God.
- Discover God’s Vision For Your Life. Then live to fulfill it. Simply put, that is the purpose for which you were created.
- Share Your Story. Christ is the greatest message the world has ever heard and your life is the best medium for this message to be shared with the world.
- Invest In Others. You and I simply can’t do it alone. There are many who are waiting for their chance to make a difference for God. You and I are called to reproduce the life that God has given to us in others.
- Don’t Leave Your Family Behind. They are your first place of ministry. They are God’s gift to you. Take them along in your leadership journey.
- Steward Your Resources. God owns all that is good and has entrusted valuable resources and time to you. Manage them for His glory.
- Maintain Integrity. The world is tired of fakes, but it is ready to listen to integrity. Make sure your life is beyond reproach and the world will pay attention.
These are the Eight Core Values of the Christians who are changing history. They are the biblical foundation of our movement and the compass that guides our ministry. God continues to use them to change lives. They are at the core of our leadership training and discipleship resources. (click here to find out more).
Are they your values? Would you like for them to be? Leave us a comment below and we will start a conversation.